I learned about Kristina in 2018 through a fellow maker and immediately fell in love with her work! I love her original painted illustrations so much— they have a rough, fun quality to them that really makes them pop and come alive. She also makes blankets of some of her work that are so so fantastic! I highly recommend a pop over to Kristina’s instagram (or her shop!)
I’m super excited to announce that starting today all prints will be packaged using fully biodegradable clear bags! If you’ve talked to me anytime since I started my print business 3 years ago you probably know that I’ve always been super unhappy about needing to ship prints in protective plastic bags— The plastic casing has always been necessary to protect the prints from smudgy fingers at events and in shops and from water and wear in the shipping process but I’ve always hated needing to use so much plastic. The cardboard backing and cardboard sleeves I ship prints with have always been biodegradable and made with 100% recycled materials, so switching the final component of my packaging to this eco-friendly solution is a big deal for me. Let me know what you think of the new bags when you see them in person!
So: I've had this idea for a while now to start a website/blog that explores how different aspects of everyday life can be made "greener" through concsious sustainable decision making and acting. Sounds cool, right? I keep getting so pumped about it but then get bogged down by all the aspects of creating it-- making a logo, building a website, creating a content plan, finding guest writers, etc etc. It all gets to be too much, so much so that I end up doing nothing at all.
I also realized: how the heck am I going to keep up with a new blog if I don't ever write in the one I already have?
And then I realized: whats stopping me from freely writing about what I want to write about in here?
Initially I created this blog as a place to share my art practice-- what my process is like and what inspires me to create. As I've thought about it more though, ALL of life inspires art, so why not write freely about whatever my current "passion project" is?
This is just to say: you can expect more spontanious environmentally-or-something-else-random-themed entries from me here in the future. If I can get myself to keep up the practice of writing, that is.
Hey! This blog has been defunct for a while, but a lot of life things have happened in the meantime. Here's a recap of the past six months:
- Adam and I bought a house in Oakland! It's great and we love it but it also has been a lot of work, like digging out half of the yard trying to find irrigation pipes. Stay tuned for pics!
- I finished another 100 day project! This time I drew/photographed/talked about creepy things, which was super fun because creepy things are some of my favorite things. I've posted some of the creepy things to my site and will be updating my store with them soon.
- After a year of being open, I've decided to take a turn with my online store and switch to Etsy-only sales, with a Society6 shop in the works. It's been tough to maintain two separate storefronts and since most of my sales are currently through Etsy it just makes more sense for me right now. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this-- I'm still learning the best way to do all of this!
- I went on a super awesome girl's rafting trip to the Grand Canyon to celebrate a bunch of 30th birthdays! It was the best and that landscape and color pallet will definitely affect my work in the future.
- I've been doing a lot of thinking about focus and what work is most valuable and rewarding for me. Still a lot more thinking to do here, but it's been super interesting already realizing what I do and don't like doing. More posts to come on this in the future!
- I've been working on some really fun and exciting work for some awesome clients! I've been horrible about posting this work but it's at the top of my list-- some of my favorite projects recently were illustrating the cover of the Bay Woof newspaper and drawing a dog for Track7 Brewery (notice a theme there?).
- I've decided to start up this blog again! I was putting too much pressure on it before, but now I plan on using it more fluidly as a creative outlet. Expect more posts and hopefully an e-newsletter revamp!
Thanks for following along with my extremely disorganized creative life!
Talk to you soon,
1. Set the Dogs by YEYEY
2. Cherry by Chromatics
3. Desire by DILLY DALLY
4. 996 Tears by Hard Girls
5. This Mystic Decade by Hot Snakes
6. Winter Coats by Single Mothers
7. Okay I Believe You, But My Tommy Gun Don't by Brand New
8. Where's My Dini? by Ovlov
9. Make Me Wanna Die by White Reaper
10. Wet Food by Stove
Woah, it's already the beginning of April! Here are some songs I loved in March:
1. DMT by The Sidekicks
2. I Can't Compete by Balkans
3. My Plants Are Dead by Blonde Redhead
4. ...And The Hazy Sea by Cymbals Eat Guitars
5. Straight by A Place To Bury Strangers
6. My Sunshine by Ty Segall
7. Proper Spirit by Small Black
8. Halloween 3.5 by Rozwell Kid
9. I Don't Wanna Be An Asshole Anymore by The Menzingers
10. Home by LCD Soundsystem
Hey! Here are some songs I loved this month.
1. Everything's Alright by PARTYBABY
2. DVP by PUP
3. Best of Friends by Palma Violets
4. Flesh without Blood by Grimes
5. End of the World by Mock Orange
6. My Head Hurts by Wavves
7. Know Your Rodent by The Dirty Nil
8. Cosmic Zoo by Meat Wave
9. LSD by The Gloomies
10. The Sun by Baxter Dury